Monday, November 22, 2010

Spinach Quiché

A friend got me hooked on making quichés a few months ago, and I have been making them practically every other week since then! I make it with a whole-wheat dough rather than a store bought version and I’m not sure if it’s any healthier but it sure does taste like it. At least it doesn’t have any additives!

If you are trying to cut back your fat intake, try making the quiché minus the crust. I haven’t had the guts to go crust-less yet, but I plan on doing so soon. You can also cut the cals by using egg whites and a low-fat cheese. I hate to make a dish so healthy, but with all the treats and goodies I’ve been eating lately I have no other choice!

In fact, I found a new way to curb my sweet tooth (thanks to watching Biggest Loser!!) and that’s Extra’s NEW Dessert Delights gum. I’ve already tried the Mint Chocolate Chip & I’m chewing a piece of Strawberry Shortcake right now HAH! They definitely don’t compare to the real thing, but what do you expect?! If they ever come up with a Snickerdoodle flavored gum I would be alllll over that :) XOXO....little j Y

Whole-Wheat Crust
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1 tsp sugar (I used Turbinado)
¾ tsp salt
3 tbsp milk
4 tbsp oil (any kind works--I used Safflower oil)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Mix dry ingredients in pie dish, then add in milk and oil. Stir until moist. Use your hands to press the dough down and up the sides of the dish. Cover with foil. Bake for 8 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 5 minutes or until dough is dry. Set aside to cool until ready to use.

*Tip: Not interested in using a Whole-Wheat crust? Use the dough recipe from my French Apple Tart & just omit the sugar!

Spinach Quiché
Adapted from: Bethanny Frankel in Health magazine

1 onion, finely sliced (red onion/scallions are good choices too!)
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
salt
pepper
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
5 cups fresh spinach
1 egg
3 egg whites
1 cup milk
1/3 cup feta
1/3 cup mozzarella

Reduce oven to 375 degrees F.

Spinach Quiche & Salad
Heat the olive oil in a medium-sized pan on medium-high heat. Add in the sliced onions with salt/pepper to taste and cook until browned. Add in the balsamic vinegar and continue cooking. After the onions are browned, turn off the heat and add in the spinach leaves. Toss the onions and spinach together until the spinach becomes wilted. Set aside to cool before preparing the quiché. If you are short on time, just pop it into the freezer for 5 minutes to cool.

In a small bowl, whisk the egg, egg whites, and milk together. Set aside.

Sprinkle the mozzarella onto the bottom of the whole-wheat crust. Add the cooled onions and spinach. Next, pour the egg & milk into the pie dish. Top with the feta. Bake for 40-45 minutes at 375 degrees F. Let cool 10-15 minutes before serving.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jessica, I am a friend of your Aunt Diane's. She sent me your blog link. I know how much work and dedication a blog is and I love yours! Way to go and WHO doesn't LOVE food and good tips and recipes. I'll stay tuned-keep up the good work. Kelly White

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kelly for such kind words & being the FIRST PERSON EVER to comment on my blog!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been meaning to make a spinach quiche, so I'm so glad you posted this recipe! I'm gonna add some mushrooms to my quiche too!

    Btw, I love your enthusiastic tone of writing! It makes me even more excited to cook something new and you make it sound so easy. Kudos to you, Jess!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mushrooms are a GREAT addition!! Get cookin' :)

    ReplyDelete