Thursday, January 13, 2011

Blueberry-Cucumber Smoothie

Blueberry-Cucumber Smoothie

If you’re like me, you may be a little weary about putting cucumber into your smoothie. I mean, who would think of doing that? I wasn’t sure it would turn out, but I was surprisingly pleased by the flavor & texture. Perhaps you will find this smoothie just as refreshing as I did :)

It’s the perfect drink for breakfast on those days when you’re in a rush. Toss in a few scoops of protein powder & it’ll make for a nice post-weight workout smoothie too! The chia seeds are optional, however, I suggest giving them a try.

Chia Seeds!! 
For those not familiar with chia seeds, they are a great source of fiber & have a lot of omega 3 fatty acids. When the chia seeds are mixed into water or any liquid it forms a gel. It is often used as a replacement for eggs in baking. I like using it in this smoothie because the fiber helps to keep me fuller longer & they help make the consistency of the smoothie thicker. It is also a versatile little seed! You can sprinkle into your oatmeal, over yogurt, & of course add it into your smoothies. Find it at your local health food store or make life a little easier & just order online. I found mine on Amazon for about $13 for 2 pounds.

Blueberry-Cucumber Smoothie
Inspired by: Nourishing Meals
*Makes 2 servings

½ cucumber, cut into chunks
1 cup fresh blueberries
½ cup-¾ cup apple juice or water
handful of ice cubes
1 Tbsp chia seeds (optional)

Place all ingredients in blender & blend until smooth. Enjoy immediately. 

1 comment:

  1. I tried this morning very good I did not use the seeds but it was very good and low fat!

    ReplyDelete