Wednesday, December 1, 2010

'Tis the Season...

Today marks the beginning to one of the most festive months of the year! Could it be because Christmas is just around the corner?? YESSSS!!! So I decided to settle down on the sofa with a warm cup of Jasmine tea to compile a little Christmas wish list of my own.

Check out my TOP 10 list of gifts that would make any food lover smile & that every kitchen shouldn’t be without :) XOXO....little j Y

#1 Subscription to Cooking Light Magazine ($18-$24)

Ok Santa, I’ve been asking for this magazine for the past 2 years & yet I still don’t get to see it’s pretty cover in the mail every month. What is the deal? Don’t disappoint me this year. Subscriptions start at $18/year or $24/for 2 years. That’s $$ well spent!

#2 Chop & Scoop Board from Sur La Table ($10)
I am weird when it comes to chopping up veggies & herbs for cooking. I like everything to be separate and clean. These cutting boards are perfect because I can purchase a few and be able to chop up my items individually on each board! And they are small enough for an easy transport of food over to the stove too. No more dropping random pieces of onion on the ground! Also, if you buy several of these you can utilize each one for chopping up different types of food. For example, one can be used for garlic/onions, another for veggies, and another for fruits.

#3 Onion Goggles from Sur La Table ($22)
Ok seriously, when I found these “onion goggles” I totally cracked up because I have been complaining lately about how cutting onions really burns my eyes & makes me run out of the kitchen crying like a baby. It was really starting to get on my nerves!! My mother even said to hold my breath while I cut the onion so I don’t cry. I’m not sure where she heard that but it is a total myth because it did not work at all! All I can say is that I’d rather look like a complete idiot sportin’ these goggles than with mascara running down my face.

#4 Misto Stainless Steel Olive Oil Sprayer from Amazon ($19.99)
Forget buying all those aerosol oil spray cans because now you can use this reusable stainless steel sprayer. You can fill it with your favorite olive oil & use it for cooking or on salads…& save $ in the long run. Check out Cost-Co for a 2-pack!

#5 LunchSkins ($7.85-$10.95)
If you’re the kind of person who brings a brown bag lunch to work everyday, you know you go through wayyy too many sandwich baggies to separate all your little snack bags. I am definitely guilty of it! That’s why I love these LunchSkins that come in a variety of sizes, colors, and patterns. They are even dishwasher safe! Check out your local farmer’s market (I used to see them at the Solana Beach Farmer's Market all the time) or order on their website & start cutting back on wasted lunch baggies today!

#6 Baking Mats from Sur La Table ($14.95-$19.95)
I may be a little behind on times, but I still am without these handy-dandy baking mats. If I had these I’d never have to bother scraping my baking sheets clean again. These non-stick mats are perfect for baking and look a whole lot easier to clean. I’m SOLD already!!

#7 Baker's Edge Lasagna Pan from Chef's Catalog ($49.95)
I really like the concept of this Lasagna pan because 1) the lasagna is separated into four compartments, making for a cleaner square-cut slice & 2) because ever bite of lasagna is an edge piece. Who doesn’t like the crispy cheesy edges while enjoying their lasagna?! This pan is also versatile in that it can be used for other casseroles and even for your favorite mac n' cheese. You could probably use it for brownies too. I’m just bummed Christmas isn’t for another 24 days and I’m planning to make some lasagna this week!

#8 Austin's Flora Measuring Cups from Anthropologie ($28) 
So I chose these unique & eclectic measuring cups from Anthropologie as an awesome holiday gift for cooks like myself, but in all actuality if I received ANY kind of gift from Anthropologie I would be super happy. I lovveee everything by Anthropologie!! They have the cutest aprons, glassware, dinnerware, dishtowels, & kitchen accessories. If I could buy all their stuff I would!

If your spice rack is looking bare these days, these French Herbs would make a great new addition. Any time my mother goes to the Big Apple, she makes sure to bring us home herbs & spices from Dean & Deluca. I have to say that the Herbes de Provence (sold individually for $6.50) and Fine Herbes (sold individually for $8.25) run out quickly around my house. They are great for seasoning veggies and meats. You won’t be disappointed!

#10 Culinary Adventures in NYC from Sur La Table ($1.380 + Airfare)
This gift is probably the least likely wish that’ll come true this year, but it sounded really cool so I wanted to share it. Sur La Table offers these adventures in Sicily and NYC. Two places which are ideal for enjoying the ultimate culinary experience. You’re too late on jetting off to Italy, but you’ve got a couple more weeks before the adventure starts in New York City. Check it out!!

1 comment: